Welcome to SLSTL
Sri Lanka Society for Transport & Logistics
PROF. AMAL S KUMARAGE
DR. T. SIVAKUMAR
DR. GANGA SAMARASEKERA
WHO WE ARE
The Sri Lanka Society for Transport & Logistics (SLSTL) was set up in 2014 to create a professional environment to discuss the issues in Transport and Logistics sector and to recommend sustainable solutions to improve the sector. Furthermore, it aims to promote research and development in collaboration with the industries to develop Sri Lanka as a true logistics hub. Those who have obtained post graduate qualifications in transport & logistics field and those who are actively engaged in professional and research work in the respective areas of specialization are part of this professional institute.
On 15th September 2015, the STSTL was admitted to the Eastern Asian Society for Transportation Studies (EASTS) as its 19th domestic member. Domestic Societies in all ASEAN countries are members of EASTS which is widely held as the most prestigious research society for transport & logistics in Asia. Thus Sri Lanka now belongs to one of the most well established and re-known transport research societies in Asia.
The inaugural International Conference on Research for Transport & Logistics Industry (R4TLI) was held in association with the Chartered Institute of Transport & Logistics on 3rd and 4th June 2016 in Colombo.
- To provide a network of researchers and experts engaged in transport and logistics in Sri Lanka.
- To conduct seminars, conference and workshops for dissemination of research work in transport and logistics.
- To publish research findings in transport and logistics.
- To encourage research and professional studies in transport and logistics.
- To establish linkages with other domestic, regional and international bodies with similar objectives.
- To provide advice to the government and the industry on regular basis on matters of policy affecting society at large.
The scope covered by Transport & Logistics will include any area falling within the movements of passengers or goods through any mode of transport as well as any area of logistical support for this function. As such sub-sectors such as aviation, public transport, freight transport, maritime transport, warehousing and supply chain management will be considered are core areas. Support areas of information and Communication Technology, Economics, Engineering Management, Mathematics, Physics will also be considered as applicable on a case by case basis.
BECOMING A MEMBER
Currently there is only one type of membership, which is the Individual Membership of the society.
- Membership is open to (i) holders of Master’s or Doctoral degrees in transport & logistics or in any of its core areas or support areas as may be accepted by the society or (ii) those who have full professional qualifications in transport & logistics or any of its core areas and are recognized as experts in the fields of transport through exemplary development work in the sector.
- Each application should be recommended by two members.
- Each new applicant make a presentation of recent research work carried out to the satisfaction of the society.
- Membership is continued on the proof of continuing research and dissemination work in this area once to be reviewed every three years.
The membership fees would be as follows.
- Joining Fee – LKR 2,000
- Annual Fee – LKR 1,000